The Hanukkah Kit
Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech ha’olam Asher kidshanu b’mitzvotav, vitzivanu l’hadlikner Shel Hanukkah.
Blessed are you, O Lord our God, King of the universe, You have sanctified us with your word, And have instructed us in lighting the lights of Hanukkah.
Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu melech ha’olam She’asah nissim lavoteinu, bayamim hahem Bazman hazeh.
Blessed are you, O Lord our God, King of the universe, You performed miracles for our fathers in those days and at this time.
(This 3rd blessing is only used the first night of Hanukkah)
Ba-ruch A-tah Ado-nai E-lo-he-nu Me-lech Ha-olam she-heche-ya-nu ve-ki-yi-ma-nu ve-higi-a-nu liz-man ha-zeh.
Blessed are You, O Lord our God, King of the universe, who has granted us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this happy occasion.
Some instructions for celebrating:
1. Everyone is allowed to light the candles, not just mama.
2. Light them each night of Hanukkah just after the sun sets, adding another candle to the hanukkiah each nite. One the first night, two candles the second night , and so on until all eight are ignited the last night.
3. Always light the tallest, servant candle first, and then light the other candles with this one, beginning with the farthest candle on the right.
4. You can pray, sing songs of thanksgiving, read from the ‘Hallel’ Psalms (Ps.113-118).
5. Eating jelly donuts is a traditional treat.
6. You can also give and receive gifts after lighting the candles.
7. Spin a dreidle (small top) to win Hanukkah gelt, gold foil wrapped chocolates. (For more about how to play this game go search on the web. There is plenty to learn and enjoy. hebrew4christians.com is a good site to search).
8. Pray for the salvation of Israel to be revealed to the Jewish people.
9. Send cards for Hanukkah to family, friends and neighbors, especially if they are Jewish!
10. Do something nice and unexpected for a Jewish neighbor or the Jewish community. This would be a great expression for a church to do!